With much of the 2013 soybean crop harvested, what can I comment on?
- I believe that soybean planting date did affect the 2013 soybean crop. Our soybean crop planted May 1, 2013 yielded approximately 70 Bu/A.
- Some varieties weathered the stresses of 2013 better than others. From our Soybean Management II experiment, we observed the following 2013 yield data:
- Asgrow AG 2731 RR2Y 70.3 Bu/A.
- Asgrow AG 2933 RR2Y 74.1 Bu/A.
- Asgrow AG 2931 RR2Y 75.5 Bu/A.
- The “Critical Considerations” data set from the Agronology 10 Research Center at Walcott, IA showed that 17 of the 19 plots from this data set received a direct fertilization (N-P-K) for the soybeans.
- Of these 17 plots which had N, P, K fertilizer applied, 16 also had a micro nutrient component. By the way, these 19 plots’ average yield was 81.8 Bu/A.
- The late season addition at R3-R4 growth stage of a fungicide and insecticide treatment did improve our soybean yields in 2013, as seen in Table 1.
Table 1: Influence of a Fungicide and Insecticide on 2013 Soybeans Treatments
Product Oz/A Yield (Bu/A) Harvest Moisture (%)
None —– 67.3 12.0
Stratego YLD 8 70.4 11.9
Stratego YLD 8 71.1 11.8
Leverage 360 3.8_________________________________________________