In late July you are able to see the fruits of your labor in your corn and soybean fields. Now is the time to evaluate your fields with a critical eye. Determine what is working and what needs possible revision or change.
Potential items to consider
- What corn varieties are giving you the greatest ear girth and length?
- What is my final stand count in my fields?
- What varieties are using nitrogen efficiently in this year with its many stresses?
- Look at the stalk girth at ear height level.
- Was green snap a problem with any varieties?
- With the amount of wind and rain received this growing season, what varieties have no lodged corn?
- By the last week of July, have my soybeans reached the R4 growth stage (began filling the seed pods)?
- Are my soybeans waist high or better yet (up to mid chest)?
- Have my herbicide programs controlled the weeds?
- Why do certain fields have a lot of volunteer corn?